ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of this organization shall be “Pakistani Students Association (PSA)” at the University of Duisburg-Essen (UDE).
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
The purpose of the organization shall be to:
1. Provide a cultural link to Pakistan for both Pakistani and German students at UDE. Provide a social setting for Pakistani students to interact. Contribute to the Pakistani community at large.
ARTICLE III: AFFILIATION
The organization can affiliate with any other Pakistani student organization if two thirds of the members vote in favor of it.
ARTICLE IV: MEMBERSHIP
The majority of the membership of this organization shall consist of regularly enrolled undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students of the University of Duisburg Essen. Only those members that are currently enrolled at the University of Duisburg Essen will have voting privileges.
Membership and participation shall be free of discrimination based on race, religion, ethnic group, national origin, handicap, or sex.
Core membership shall be open to all students who have paid Association dues before February 15th of the academic year for which they are applying membership for.
1. Associate membership shall be open to alumni of the University of Duisburg Essen and to any person of Pakistani origin who has previously been duly registered as a student in Germany and is residing in Metropole Ruhr. Associate members may not vote for the position of President or hold office, but may have all other privileges of a regular member. Associate members also have to pay the membership fees.
All members with the exception of those described in Article III section 6, are required to pay a membership fee as determined by the Executive Board.
Membership Fees shall be non-transferable and non-refundable.
ARTICLE V: Executive Board
The Executive Board shall consist of five officers:
1. President Vice President Secretary Treasurer Public Relations Director
The President’s responsibilities include:
1. Ensuring that all events the association is involved in are in compliance with the goals and objectives of the Pakistani Students Association. Conducting meetings; addressing any issues members raised.
The Vice President’s responsibilities include:
1. Assuming the position of President, in the case that the President cannot perform his duties temporarily, until the President can return. Assigning chairpersons their duties, meeting regularly with the chairpersons, communicating with officers the progress of committees, raising concerns of officers to chairpersons, and ensuring that chairpersons complete their assigned duties. Taking over tasks from other members of Executive Chair, if they need help, however, this should be informed to all the members of Executive Board in written
The Secretary’s responsibilities include:
1. Organizing meetings, informing members of meetings, writing meeting minutes and distributing them among members, arranging officers meetings, and handling all correspondence within the association. Counting votes during elections and announcing the new officers to members. Re-registering the organization and ensuring that all appropriate paperwork is filed with the Student Activities Office Autumn quarter. Maintaining a notebook with all meeting minutes and members’ contact information. This is to be brought to all meetings and made available for members to view.
The Treasurer’s responsibilities include:
1. Handling the association’s financial account. Keeping track of finances and reporting them to members regularly. Picking up mail from the PSA mailbox regularly and file all bank statements; other correspondence may be given to the Secretary to distribute accordingly. Reimbursing any members who use personal funds for the association’s expenses. Ensuring that fundraisers are being held regularly and the balance of the account is replenished annually.
The Public Relations Director’s responsibilities include:
1. Informing members of all upcoming events and assessing the feedback from completed events. Publicizing events, maintaining the web page, and updating events on the web page regularly.
If these officers need more help, they can make new officers for different sections by the simple majority in the group of five.
Any complaints or concerns members may have with officers shall be addressed to the President; if the issue is in regards to the President, the Vice President should be contacted.
The term of office shall be from the beginning of each calendar year until the end of the same calendar year.
An officer can be removed from office by a two-third majority of the members if there is:
1. A serious misconduct. Involvement in activities which are damaging to the image and reputation of the association.
The procedure above will also be followed for the removal of any member.
ARTICLE VI: ELECTION
Selection of officers shall be held in the month of January for the term starting at the beginning of each Calander year. All members shall be notified by the Secretary a minimum of fifteen days before the election.
The outgoing Executive Board will select the Election Committee who shall supervise the elections.
Only Core members, as described in Article IV, Section 3 are eligible to vote for the position of President.
Only Regular and Core members, as described in Article III, Section 3 and 4 respectively, are eligible to vote for the Presidents position, however Associate members are allowed to vote for the following positions only:
1. Vice President Secretary Treasurer Public Relations Director
The election will be held in person.
A simple majority will determine election to an office. In case of a tie for any position, elections will be held again for that position with only those who have received the same amount of votes for that position on the ballot.
The election will be by two secret ballots. One will be for the President’s position, and the other ballot will be used for all other Executive Board positions.
For the position of Executive Board following conditions hold:
1. No person can hold the same position in Executive Board more than twice. No person can hold the President’s position for two consecutive years, however he
may opt to run for any other position in Executive Board. No member can stay the member of the Executive Board for more than three terms.
If there is more than one member contesting a position, a majority will be enough to determine the new officer.
If an officer is removed or can no longer hold office, an election will be held for that position.
1. In the case of the President, the Vice President will become President and the position of Vice President will be filled via election.
1. Any member willing to nominate himself for any position of the Executive Board, has to declare in written to the election commission that, he is not part of any other Political Party or Student Organization for example, Stupa, Asta, Fachschaft etc inside the University or Outside the University. If it is found out later that the member has deceived the Election commission or has become the member of any other Organization after becoming the member of Executive board, will be banned from the Executive board, and will no longer be eligible for any position of Executive Board for good. All the members willing to run for the election of Executive board have to provide the proof of their Pakistani Nationality and prove that they are enrolled student at the University of Duisburg Essen.
ARTICLE VII: MEETINGS
Regular meetings of this organization shall be held at least bi-monthly, but current members may choose to hold meetings more often. The Secretary will inform all members at least one week before the meeting.
Meetings shall be conducted in the following order:
1. The President, or the highest officer present, must start the meeting. The Secretary must read the minutes from the most recent meeting. After this is done, the Secretary must ask the delegation if any changes/additions are required. Once the changes have been made, or if
there aren’t any, the minutes must be voted on and approved by a majority. The Treasurer must read the most current financial statement. Also, during this time the Secretary must either pass out an attendance sheet, or take attendance from the desk. The Public Relations Director must inform the delegation of the results/reactions to the most recent events, events in the near future, and what remains to be done for these upcoming events. The President must now reopen all tabled discussions/votes. All new ideas/propositions/amendments must be brought up at this point. The President must end the meeting by stating, “I now call this meeting to a close.”
ARTICLE IX: ADVISORS & SPONSORS
Members can decide to have advisors or sponsors with a two-third majority according to the policies of the University of Duisburg Essen.
ARTICLE X: COMMITTEES, CHAIRPERSONS
For each event, the person who proposed the event becomes the chairperson, unless he or she wishes to appoint someone else. A committee can consist of as many members as wish to join.
Chairpersons will communicate to the officers via the Vice President and must attend any chairperson meetings announced by the Vice President unless they excuse their absence with the Vice President.
The chairperson of the committee is responsible for the decisions regarding the event and will delegate tasks to the members of the committee.
Any decisions regarding legalities, such as use of the PSA sponsorship of events or usage of financial resources, must be brought to the attention of the Vice President and, if needed, Treasurer, and voted on collectively by the entire group of members.
The committee may ask for advice regarding the event at regular meetings but is not bound to it.
The chairperson must report progress back to the Vice President at each meeting and must ensure that officers are aware of all decisions made.
ARTICLE XI: CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS
The constitution may be amended by a two-third majority at any regular meeting.
1. The change will be voted on at the meeting after the proposal and not on the same day. The proposed change of the constitution must be included in the meeting notice.